Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Last Five Songs: Song 1164

The only song he has appears here... plus, he's Canadian. How wonderful is that?


Song #1164: Nothing is perfect man, that's what the world is...

You can't escape him, he's practically everywhere. And today's artist is...

K'Naan - Take A Minute

2010 was his year, he had so much going on that it's amazing that he was able to still stand by the time it was all over. From the beginning, he made a song for the Fifa World Cup, and then he used it again for charity. You can see that his music is very inspirational. I'm surprised that I only have this song, because I didn't really know what he's talking about in the piece... this was all for the beat.

Taking another listen before putting in the entry, I see that the chorus plays with his lyrics well, saying that whatever may be bothering you is probably not the worst thing that can happen. In a world filled with problems and issues bigger than ourselves, we have to be thankful for what we have. Do we ever have a moment with ourselves and appreciate what we have? Sometimes we are too busy to remember the little things in life; we just take them for granted. I do admit that it is a strange piece, but that's what I like about it: not your typical rap song. That is always a nice change, don't you think?

From the beginning, you hear that piano being played - you know that's an instant winner in my book! And then comes the 'damn damn' part, and that gets to me. The message is straight out there, and what he says is true: we don't know anything at all... so why do we get mad? In comes a hint of guitar, that sound I like that I can't describe (it's kind of like buzzing), and the drums; yup, there's a little bit of everything here to represent awesomeness! If there is one part I like, it's the third verse that was never completed. He admits it himself, and tells everyone the moral of the song that he wrote.

He is such a great artist, his words are touching, and I hope that he continues with more hits like this. Here is to a new era of music - it better last long, I can't just dance to pop all the time you know. Chilled, relaxed songs with a good story can put a smile on my face too. And now, without further ado, the song:

No comments: