Monday, December 30, 2013

Sincerely, 2012: Canadian Edition


Below My Feet The Stars Can Lift Me



Release Date: November 14, 2012

Metric are a very interesting act. They have been making music for roughly 10 years professionally, but have been together for almost 15. So it surprised me when I heard this song on the radio. I mean, they are an amazing band, and their music deserve much more attention than this single. But this is not a bad 'introduction' to Pop Radio. I can't wait to hear what else will be coming from them, it's going to be good.




10 Cazzette - Beam Me Up (Kill Mode)


Release Date : November 13, 2012

I think it's the name that got to me - I mean, they are cassettes! But just like the video, the song is all over the place, taking over the minds of innocent civilians who are in a need of a dance. Electronic? Not quite, which makes this so fascinating because that seems to be the route where most acts are going, whereas this act is almost there, but takes you on a detour to somewhere else. And since they are from the house of Avicii, you know these two are not going away any time soon.





Release Date: August 22, 2012

The most zen song I have ever heard. I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what they are singing about, other than my heart will never be… Let's just say the rest can be left for interpretation. What I love about this song are the random, flutes(?), that come into the song, which make the break from chorus to verses. Although their look is definitely interesting, their sound makes you interested to see what else this artist has up her sleeves. Hopefully, it only gets better from here.






Release Date: November 24, 2012

They are the winners of The PEAK Performance Project, which I believe is a contest held in Whistler. Throughout the beginning of the year, this song got constant play everywhere I went - and it's not difficult to see why they won. A very chilled song, Dear Rouge has managed to create a piece that is reminiscent to the 80s with the touch of their synthesizer - and who don't love a good synthesizer? Who knows where this song will take them, but it was fun to listen to while it got airplay.





Release Date: December 17, 2012

One of my new favourite acts are from beautiful British Columbia (holla!) I feel like these boys can do no wrong, especially with such a hot track like this. A little psychotic, this piece showcases the insanity that comes out of their minds, and it's certainly a thrill just to go on this ride, all under 4 minutes. The insanity of this song is pure fun, and who wouldn't want to fist pump to this little ditty? And if your mind is thinking of all the good times that can happen, who are you to deny them? Might as well see where this takes you c";





Release Date: December 18, 2012

I didn't know how much I would have enjoyed this song until I was exposed to it enough times. I am in love with her voice, and she is only 20 years old Honestly, thought this was going to be a woman in her late 20s! Was it the fact that it sounded almost like screaming? Maybe, but I was enthralled by the whole song, from the dramatic breaks to her enduring voice. What will 2014 bring for Chambers? I hope more experimenting with her voice, and there better be more songs that I hear from this girl - I mean, look at her! She's gorgeous.





Release Date: October 24, 2012

One of the places where I heard this song was during yoga practice, and it made sense (well, somewhat). Although it's about how your actions will be mirrored onto yourself, it's important to treat others the way you want to be treated. That's what Kristina is talking about - and don't worry, it bites for the bad acts that you have done. I just love Kristina Maria, she has all the potential in the world to be presented on the world's stage. There is no reason to hide this woman, she must be displayed for all to adore!





Release Date: September 21, 2012

One of the biggest songs has to be from Serena Ryder with this monster hit. Although she began singing a few years ago, it was this song that shot her to the top, and thus the rest of her songs get attention on a daily basis. This is an anthem on its own, showing the courage and strength it takes to stand up and fight for what you believe is right. I am glad to see that Ryder is growing up, and her sound couldn't be any better than this era she is going through. May more success come from this woman.





Release Date: December 14, 2012

What ever happened to Spirit Indestructible? I felt that this album got no attention, but it may just be her best album she has ever released. Example, this song. Part Folk, part Dance, there's a little bit of everything for everyone to enjoy this piece. Not dark, but not also bright, this song keeps you interested for the whole piece that makes you wonder why she must wait for the night, and what is exactly hiding where no light shines. This brings all of the elements that came from previous works into this one song, and it simply amazes me. Oh Nelly, I do hope you bounce back to world-wide fame again.




Release Date: November 6, 2012

Who didn't sing along to this song? I feel like this is such a party song, but I'm pretty sure this isn't played in the clubs. Classified made his mark with this song, and he also introduces a friend that makes this utterly cute. With such a positive message, it's no wonder why people want to constantly hear this song, let alone create a remix for no apparent reason. So here's to a white rapper who never gave up on his career, creating more peppy tracks, and finally getting on the chart where he belongs. Hooray for Classified.





Release Date: June 15, 2012

Where in 2012 was this song hiding? I have no clue, but it was only this year when I heard the most brilliant song from a new artist known as Shawn Hook. Nominated for a Juno, there is no doubt that this boy has talent. That moment where you can almost feel what you've been craving for, there is no better song that came a year too late. Hey, better late than never to be shown good music from the True North :"D There better be more Shawn Hook in 2014, his voice is so pleasant to listen to.




Thus ends the very first Top 10 from Canadians. Let me know what you think in a comment below!

No comments: