Monday, December 30, 2013

Top 100 of 2013: 30 to 21



There's No Such Thing As Wild Enough

030 Anna Kendrick - Cups (When I’m Gone)

I am saddened by the fact that I have yet seen the movie Pitch Perfect. Everyone tells me that I would really enjoy the movie - and I'm pretty sure they're right. Initially, I didn't understand why everyone was obsessed with this song, I thought that the movie clip was simply posted online, but instead it's an actual video starring one of my favourite actresses c": It's amazing what an actor can do, especially when they're beautiful like Anna Kendrick. Now you don't go denying that you didn't attempt to to the cup beat (it's so much fun!) And what makes this even more of a surprise? Kendrick's reaction to this phenomenon. More singing to come, yes?!



029 Fall Out Boy - Alone Together

There's something about their comeback that makes me love Fall Out Boy at the moment. I must have missed them, especially when they make such ear worms like this song. Whether it's the kids screaming, or the catchy lyrics, an appearance on Ellen definitely had an impression on me. Their passion for music is truly within their latest album, Save Rock & Roll. Whatever occurred during that hiatus, it worked with them. Stronger than ever, I especially love the fact that they made (and continue to make) a video for every single. Although I am not much a fan of this video, the story is very interesting. Can't wait to see what else they've got coming.



028 Katy Perry - Unconditionally

Honestly, I thought Katy would have gone towards a darker direction for her latest album. But this song is a spectacular, especially with the introduction that leads to cinematic chorus that leaves you in awe. This is pure perfection for Perry, as she shows the beauty from beginning to end. One of her best ballads, I hope she graces us with empowering songs that move the heart forever. With this song, she delivers a happy medium that's not too happy, but also not too remorse. That is what she should be showing, a more grown-up state with her music. But for now, I will enjoy this piece and sing it aloud with my niece at the top of my lungs. Oh yeah, it'll be good.



027 Rihanna ft Mikky Ekko - Stay

One of the best, and one of the most overplayed songs that Rihanna has ever recorded. You can't help but be touched by the lyrics, which are all thanks to Mikky Ekko. The softness of her voice is rarely seen, and it's great to hear more of that on the album Unapologetic. This duet is wonderful, although it is very simple with no harmonies whatsoever. That is also another great advantage of the song: it's just the piano and their voices. This is what has been missing in music lately: just plain old music that showcase their talent. The lyrics are a little violent at the beginning, but it becomes a beautifully sad piece that makes you wonder why you were even arguing in the first place. A great piece from two talented artists.


026 A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - Say Something

How did this song become popular, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Christina's addition had something to do with it. A Great Big World have been getting a lot of attention, especially with this hit. It's the simplest song you may have listened to, and I believe that it's incredible how powerful their message is about the fear of losing a loved one. And although people may favour certain renditions (X Factor), I still adore this version as the emotions are strong here, as if he's at a lost for words in saving something so sacred that it would mean everything if it were all gone. For the hopeless romantics, I believe this song can get you through all tough challenges that face you.


025 Sara Bareilles - Brave

Now this is a pop song! When I first heard it, I knew I was in love with this song. It's kitschy, it's juvenile, but also very mature for a fun jam about having the strength to do what you want. There were some similarities compared to another song (#124 on my countdown), but this one wins overall for its cute video, how happy Bareilles is with this piece, and the incredible dance routine done by a variety of people that we may know in our own lives. I do wish she was more popular though, because she's mad creative with all of her material, and she just got nominated for Album Of The Year. Fingers crossed for her and continuing her success!



024 Hunter Hayes - I Want Crazy

Who is this hottie, you ask? I didn't know until I watched The Voice, and that's where it all started. This is not even remotely Country other than the background music, but I can't help myself from smiling whenever I hear this song. He is the same age as me, and he talks about a love that makes you go insane - and honestly, who wouldn't want such a relationship? I think everyone would :"D I swear, I think Country music produces the most beautiful people on the planet. Not one of them are ugly, and they can sing about trucks and beers all day long… But not with Hunter Hayes, it's all about love. I am totally fine with that. I'll be keeping my eye out for him, definitely.



023 Miley Cyrus - We Can’t Stop

Possibly one of the most iconic songs of 2013. As a song itself, it's really well-made. For a song that sounds almost lounge, surprisingly it gets people bouncing from wall to wall. Add in the video, and I think you have gotten inspiration for every wild idea that could occur at a party. And if that wasn't enough, the parody does just about equal amounts of craziness d"; You can't help but admit this is a good song, despite the image Cyrus has made. But let's take this into consideration: she is 21, and if we had money like her, I'm pretty sure we would also be as wild and willing to express what we feel in every necessary format. Thank you Miley for being yourself, and showing what a good time is all about.


022 Taylor Swift - 22

If you didn't see this one coming, you must not know me. How fitting for the position, a song title with the same number. This year, I turned 22… ironically, Taylor releases a song about acting like you're 22. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Cheesy, indeed! But I am loving it, especially how it's all about having fun and not having a care in life. Although this may not be exactly how being 22 turns out to be, at least there is this song to be living that life through. I'm actually surprised by how little airplay it got from radio, I thought it would be a bigger hit. But oh well, this anthem for those turning the same double-digit will be excited knowing Taylor totally understands them! Like, totally!



021 Imagine Dragons - Demons

Imagine Dragons have done it again, with a song that I wasn't so hot about at first. I didn't really get into this until I actually gave it an actual listen through - it's like easing the tension that has been build up in you. So relaxing from such powerful people, giving you their all with this song, showing the deepest, darkest secrets to one another. They need help to relinquish their inner beings so the healing process can begin, and that cannot happen without a little help from a loved one. How silly of me not to like an Imagine Dragons song, they are only the best Rock band to have come out recently. It's about time to hear songs at this level, and focus on topics seldom heard in the media.


That's all for the 10 songs of the day. Let me know what you think with leaving a comment below!

No comments: