Sunday, December 27, 2015

Sincerely, 2014

Not every song can make it into the annual countdown. That's why it kills me to have these songs in their own countdown. Some of the songs were the biggest hits of this year. The only thing that keeps me from putting them into my countdown would be when the song was released. Without further adieu, these are the biggest songs carried from 2014.


Hiding true colours made you fall apart...


020 Oliver Heldens, Mr. Belt & Wezol - Pikachu


Release Date: November 3, 2014


Yes, there is a song about the Pokémon. Yes, it's bad. However, it was too good to pass on. In my opinion, this Pikachu song is better. Check it out, at your own risk.



Release Date: November 1, 2014

Chilled only describes the beginning of this song. It's for rest and relaxation, even though it sparkles, this gem of a single. I wish I knew where to find songs like these, other than Instagram.







018 Thomas Rhett - Make Me Wanna


Release Date: August 4, 2014

Country music wouldn't be where my interest in music lies - however, some times you need that mix to have a difference. It's a different mentality from Top 40, and that guitar riff makes you want to do more than what the song intends.





017 Francesco Yates - Call


Release Date: June 23, 2014

He may have broken into the scene with this year's single, but I really enjoyed this track. It's like your ears are travelling on a cloud into utter bliss. But kudos to Francesco Yates for gaining attention, working with three singles is no easy feat.





016 Kardinal Offishall ft Chaisson - That Chick Right There


Release Date: December 10, 2014

There's one part that I particularly find amusing: Hold Up, Wait A Minute! Not many artists can pull that off, but Jason Harrow manages to create this fun tune without coming off as sexist. Got to give it up to the Canadian.





015 Sam Hunt - Take Your Time (24/11/2014)


Release Date: November 24, 2014

At first, I questioned whether this was a song. Going back and forth from conversation to singing, I wasn't sure if I could get into it. After a few plays on the radio, I must admit, the chorus is rather decent. Hopefully Sam Hunt will fully sing his next single.





014 Prince Royce ft Snoop Dogg - Stuck On A Feeling


Release Date: November 24, 2014

Is this R&B, or Pop? Let's consider this a fusion. Not familiar with Prince Royce, but the beat interests me in a strange way. It's eerie, but also funny at the same time. And what could perfect the song? The stylings of Snoop Dogg, of course.






013 Mike Mago & Dragonette - Outlines


Release Date: August 15, 2014

When it comes to this song, I don't know what to think. On one hand, it's well produced, and Dragonette kills it every time they make a Dance track. On the other, I sometimes can't stand this song. But all in all, I always find myself coming back to it... Can't deny good music.





012 Madonna - Living For Love


Release Date: December 20, 2014

Gotta give it up for Madonna, the artist who is always reinventing herself. I think people cannot separate age with music, and that's the standout point why she doesn't get much attention as before. She knows how to deliver - this song is a perfect example of her strengths as an artist.




011 Big Sean ft E-40 - I Don’t Fxck With You


Release Date: September 19, 2014

The radio kept playing the instrumental of this song. Curious to find out, I never knew I could like a curse this repulsive. But sometimes, you just need to vent out what you need to say. This isn't the best representation for Sean Anderson, but it's what brought him on top.





010 LANY - ILYSB (Ferdinand Weber Remix)


Release Date: August 27, 2014

The definition of paradise. It's amazing how you can find music these days. For this one, I was watching a video and in the background came this. Never has a song captured my attention quickly like this one. Ever since, been hearing it in the oddest of places (including Pride).





009 Elle King - Ex’s & Oh’s


Release Date: September 23, 2014

I wonder how this song literally came out of nowhere. One day, the radio played it, and now, it's inescapable. What I like about this song is her attitude. If anything, there should be more female songs about using men - I mean, men do it all the time anyways.





008 Walk The Moon - Shut Up & Dance


Release Date: September 10, 2014

Otherwise known as the 'Youngest Siblings' song, it's all good fun that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Playing with the 'love at first sight' motif, it's everything that you hate to admit that you actually adore. Bring in a little bit of the older work, and that should solidify their career.




007 Sam Smith - Like I Can


Release Date: December 5, 2014

Where have I been? I didn't even know that Sam Smith made songs this upbeat. He sounds fantastic in this energizing track, and more lively compared to his ballads. If he continues down the Dance genre, I think that may get me more interested in Sam Smith.





006 Pitbull ft Ne-Yo - Time Of Our Lives


Release Date: November 17, 2014

This would have easily ranked pretty high in last year's countdown. However, this song gained attention in 2015. Armando Pérez manages to create this nostalgia with his favourite collaborator, Ne-Yo. If New Year's Eve had a theme song, it would sound like this.





005 Calvin Harris ft Ellie Goulding - Outside


Release Date: October 20, 2014

Consider this the angry break-up song, but with feelings. It's sympathetic with a touch of pent-up rage, all controlled within Ellie Goulding's vocal efforts. I think this may even be better than their previous work. Anything is possible with this duo.




004 Yes Nice - White Washed Walls (Remix)


Release Date: August 2, 2014

If you haven't noticed, I get most of my music through the radio. Without it, there probably wouldn't be a countdown. Coming from a station I don't usually listen to, this 80s vibe gives me thoughts that are, well, raunchy. One of my favourite workout songs to slow things down.




003 DJ Snake & AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It


Release Date: December 8, 2014

Amazing how DJs are able to take an old track and give it a new life. Take this for example, compared to the original. There's this excitement that made the song relevant again, and it's all thanks to William Grigahcine. Easily, this is one of my favourite tracks founded in 2015.




002 Madeon ft Kyan - You’re On


Release Date: December 8, 2014

First heard of Hugo Leclrecq through this video. He was also an opening act for Lady Gaga, but hasn't made much music of his own at this point. Then I head this beautiful track, and now I might just be a fan. Those falsettos from Kyan are everything, and they're beautifully emphasized through the production.





001 Betty Who - All Of You


Release Date: September 16, 2014

Here we have the perfect song that's from 2014... Oh, how I wish this was from 2015. From the conflict to the resolution, this Australian artist made the Pop song that every song should envy. Why this wasn't a big hit, I have no clue. I can't wait to see what Jessica Newham will create - I'm sure it'll be amazing

No comments: