Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Honourable Mentions

So far, 2016 has been the toughest year to rank the music. To be honest, there were limited songs that I liked - majority of my music came from either 2015, or years before. Before getting into the best, here are the songs that did not make the cut.




Don't need no reason, don't need control...


130 Justin Timberlake - Can’t Stop The Feeling!
Please. Stop. The. Madness. I get it, the song is catchy... But ultimately, cringe-worthy! Bring sexy back.

129 Katy Perry - Rise
A powerful message, but much forgettable. But the sound is definitely in the right direction.


128 The Chainsmokers ft Halsey - Closer
I appreciate Andrew Taggart's vocals, especially DJs also singing. However, overplay made this unbearable.

Heard this in a club once, and thought I liked it. The eeriness lured me in - not for every day listening.

126 Desiigner - Panda
I like the part when Sidney says 'Panda.' I understand the impact of the song, but it's not for me.

125 Calvin Harris - My Way
Calvin Harris usually creates some massive chart toppers - this one is background music, at most.

124 Tinashe - Superlove
Wish Tinashe got more attention, she is truly talented. This was a downer, but I'm sure she'll do better.

123 Sam Hunt - Make You Miss Me
Need to keep close attention to this artist. I like the sound, it's very calming. Can't wait to see what comes next.

122 Rae Sremmurd ft Gucci Mane - Black Beatles
Another song I didn't really pay attention, but it has a good beat. The chorus is catchy, though not appropriate.

121 Years & Years ft Tove Lo - Desire
A re-release, and remixed! While still enjoyable, I feel like it does not match last year's work.

120 Ria Mae - Gold
This Canadian artist is not taking a rest day any soon! Not bad, but not good. I think Ria Mae can do better.
Perhaps it's the twang in his voice, I can't seem to get enough of Thomas Rhett! This song seems generic.

118 Jason Derulo - Get Ugly
More of a comedic piece, it's great to see Jason Derulo progress in his career. Now bring back more radio hits!

117 Jennifer Lopez - Ain’t Your Mama
Not the strongest song from Miss Lopez, with an enjoyable music video. Good message, needs more amp.

116 Frank Ocean - Nikes
Couldn't get into the high-pitched vocals. Christopher Edwin Breaux, I know you can do better.

115 Daya - Words
Can't wait to hear more of Grace Martine Tandon. If she continues with more Dance tracks, she'll go far.

114 Hunter Hayes - Yesterday's Song
More Country! I do like me some Hunter Hayes, and this is no exception. Wish I heard this earlier.

113 Blink 182 - Bored To Death
The true throwback of the countdown. And more impressive, hitting #1 with their album. Welcome back.

112 Bobby Bazini - C’est La Vie
A sleeper hit, if you ask me. Took some time for me to grow into this song. A relaxing tune, if you ask.

111 Louis Tomlinson & Steve Aoki - Just Hold On!
A former One Direction member tackling Dance Music. Not a bad effort. Let's see what else is in store, Louis.

110 Le Youth ft Tay Beckham - Boomerang

Always enjoy Le Youth, and this song is no exception. However, this sounds like their previous efforts.

109 Disclosure ft The Weeknd - Nocturnal
'Caracal' was a great album from Disclosure. More of a lounge sound, very reminiscent of the 90s.

108 Hedley - Can’t Slow Down
There is hate/love relationship I have with Hedley. I do like their efforts at slow jams, and this is really pretty.
Calmer than her other work, Louisa Rose Allen does not disappoint. But calm is not her style.

106 Alicia Keys - In Common
Enjoying this sound of Alicia Keys. If she continues to venture into this style, I'll welcome this return.

105 Twenty One Pilots - Ride
One of those acts where I enjoy their other singles than the first. This one is highly amusing!

104 Majid Jordan - King City
An act that deserves more attention. A bit repetitive, but would recommend checking out their other work.

103 Hedley - Lose Control
This song has become a typical workout song. More of a Pop sound, which suits the band quite well.

102 Beyoncé Knowles - Hold Up
Sounds so sweet, yet so juicy - don't mess with a queen. Not a bad song, but not the best from Mrs. Carter.

101 Lady Gaga - John Wayne
What an energetic song from Lady Gaga! Filled with power, the song should have been longer.

No comments: