Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Old Music: The Best Discoveries

Some of the best songs from 2017 are not even from the same year. This year's contenders go beyond decades, and I couldn't be happier than to present you you my favourite ten. Here are the ten best songs that are new to me, released outside of the year.


Hold me like you never lost your patience...

10 Snakehips ft Kaleem Taylor - Forever

Year: 2015

I am certain that I found this song through a YouTube video, but I cannot recall anymore. It's like an outer space journey, a sound like no other song out there. The random vocals in the background grab at me, and it's not a bad thing. The music video must not be missed, it's an art scene on its own. Time to get those dancing shoes on.





09 Basement Jaxx - Do Your Thing


Year: 2002

Ever had that song you recognized, but never found out? This was one of them, from the brilliance of Basement Jaxx. In this cheery song, it highlights the fun in being yourself, and not giving a care about what others think. A helpful reminder 15 years later on, it's the positivity much needed in music today.



08 LP - Lost On You


Year: 2015

Radio played this song a few times, and it caught my attention. At first listen, I honestly thought this was Gwen Stefani - it stylization of the song is a mix of No Doubt with drama. But to my surprise, the song is by Laura Pergolizzi, otherwise known as LP. The song gained more attention in Europe this past year, but am glad that LP is gaining attention in North America.


07 Jacksoul - Can’t Stop


Year: 2000

Another radio classic that creeped on me out of nowhere. I love Jacksoul, especially "Still Believe In Love," but I completely forgot about this track. Released back in the new millennium, this song has a bopping sound, inspired by the bustling of the streets and the speed of love. Haydain Neale was such a pleasure, listening to his vocals - he passed away back in 2009. Got to bring back more Jacksoul to the radio!


06 Elektrons - Classic Cliche


Year: 2007

My cousin showed me this song, and it was a love at first listen. Xylophone introduction, followed by 'la-las,' the song brings back a retro vibe. Not to mention, the band's name is absolutely geeky. The whole production towards the song is marvellous, delivering a unique dynamic at an easy-going type of romance. I may have played the song too many times, but I am certain it will make you feel good once it comes on.


05 Broods - Four Walls


Year: 2015

Nothing like a peaceful ballad to make your heart feel happy. Broods is a music duo from New Zealand, presenting such a beautiful song with a modern message. With perfect harmonies and little tones sung before the chorus, the song becomes more infectious by its simplicity. Not a bad way to be introduced to a duo, I must get into the Australian music scene, pronto.


04 Toulouse - It Always Happens This Way


Year: 1977

Yet again, a radio hit that never escaped me. From Canada is this 70s band that sang their single in both English and French. So endearing, the song has a love at first sight feel, not knowing what to say, let alone in what language. Such an interesting risk for a single, I do wonder how it performed back in its time. But nonetheless, one enjoyable piece from Toulouse.


03 Jessie J, Jhené Aiko & Rixton - Sorry To Interrupt


Year: 2015

One song that wouldn't stop playing on my end. Not aware that the song was made by a summer festival in 2015, Jessie J, Jhené Aiko, and Rixton collaborated in a really good song. With such different sounds, all of their voices mesh so well together. Sounding like early 2000s music, this song should have gotten more attention. Love the idea and concept, I would love to see what else Pop Tarts has up their sleeves - other than sugary breakfast.

02 Olly Murs ft Travie McCoy - Wrapped Up


Year: 2014

Is there anything Olly Murs cannot do? His revival of the 60s sound works well for him, as he shines with the smasher of a hit. Featuring Travie McCoy, Murs has this excitement all jammed in one song, adding violins at a fast pace. The interpretation of love is thrilling, and cannot be stopped. Oh Olly, you are much missed in North America - please make another troublemaking hit.


01 Sam Cooke - Good Times


Year: 1964

Here is the best song that I found from 2017. I was in Portland, browsing through a record store when I heard such a friendly tune. A rather simple song, Sam Cooke sang his simple message with such passion. No matter what happens, everything will be alright, especially with a xylophone melody to sooth it all. I can't believe I just found this song, I need to time travel back into the classic music scene.

No comments: