Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Top 100 of 2015: 70 to 61

The Heartbreak


I need time to replace what I gave away...

070 Marina & The Diamonds - I’m A Ruin


Typically known for upbeat-cynical pop music, Marina Diamandis changes her direction in this single. It's all about letting go because she knows that all she'll do is hurt this person. I like the change from her, and hope to see her diversify her sound next year.






069 Sia - Elastic Heart


Acting like a soldier, even when times get tough. What I enjoy about this piece from Sia is the fact that her vocals aren't the strongest point - that goes to the repetition of the beat. Another brilliant piece from this oddball of an artist - may she remain that way.






068 Ellie Goulding - On My Mind


It's like you're frustrated, but trying to remain cool at the same time. That would be this song. Makes you wonder whether they loved you or not - and what's worse is when that memory keeps going through your head. Let Goulding sing out your dilemma.






067 Adele - Hello


The triumphant comeback, and bigger than ever. You may be tired of it when you hear it every second, but it gets good once again. She may not own the word, however, I can't seem to ever say it without singing. Here's to the voice of this generation - may she continue to spill out her emotions.






066 Ariana Grande - One Last Time


The last single from the perfect album 'My Everything.' So far, I have enjoyed this era from Ariana, and it seemed rather fitting to end it with this. On one hand, it makes me feel very lonely - on the other, I want to karaoke real loud. What an odd conundrum.






065 Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams


These are the steps for getting over someone. It wouldn't have been my ideal choice for a single, but Swift has convinced everyone to reminisce about a fond moment where everything is perfect. Just like the video, even make-believe can satisfy those desires.






064 Selena Gomez - Same Old Love


And here we have my wife, my one true love. At first, I thought it sounded a bit whiny. After a few listens, I am enthralled by its fed-up attitude and desperately seeking for escape. Whether it's the old-styled piano, or her cry for help, she always wins me over.






063 Adam Lambert - Ghost Town


Out of nowhere, radio stations picked up the latest Adam Lambert track... How pleasant to hear a genre that truly fits him. Being the more danceable song on this entry, it's shedding the early works of and shining new light to a comfortable stage for Lambert.






062 Sam Smith - Lay Me Down


Still heartbreak, but in a different format. Sam Smith's solo effort with a few backup vocals were what I needed, and did I get them. It's a passion so deep that sometimes it hurts. That's when you know you got it bad, and it's not a bad thing at all.






061 Troye Sivan - Fools


My favourite segment from the 'Blue Neighbourhood' Trilogy. It's dark and sad, but much needed to explain this type of pain. You can hear it in his voice, how much of an impact it made to Troye Sivan. Those haunting vocals (sound effects?) are the best touch of this piece.

No comments: