Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 30 to 21

But what if, you kiss me? And what if, I like it? And no one sees it...




Took me a while before I got into this song, but I'm glad that Selena Gomez made music this year. In a revealing song, Gomez is telling her perspective of the story, how finding herself was more important than letting go of a loved one. Could have done without the chanting, but like every Selena Gomez track, it'll grow on to me. My wife can do no wrong, I believe 2020 will be her year.



Conceited? Perhaps. Catchy? Totally. An awakening from Reputation, it's all butterflies and warm fuzzy feelings with the first single from the Lover album. Basically, it's everything you expect from a Pop song: overly sweet, filled with sugar coated paired with an eclectic person such as Brendon Urie. Didn't quite understand the spelling segment, but hey, if it's fun, you can't resist the toothache of a song.



Chiming memories and melancholic vocals, every detail on this track is perfection. I adore that Sam Smith and Normani came together to sing about the toils of loneliness, coping every emotion and filling the void with someone unknown. While sad, the song also comes off sultry and intimate, even though it's not exactly how one would feel after a heartbreak. What a sexy song that is far from the subject, it's astounding.


It's been quite the year for Camila, she keeps releasing song after song! Much as I would like for the artist to experiment with her sound, you can't resist the urge to dance when this Latin-flared track comes on. Mischievous and naughty, Cabello finds herself in a conundrum when this interest keeps making her question her own thoughts. What does this person want? Whatever it is, it made one impressive single.



This song reminded me of the early 2000s, mostly for its production and amusing falsettos. So much nostalgia came from this track, I really enjoyed this track. My favourite part of the song would have to be the harmonies before the chorus, and the fact that they even had a remix with Charlie Puth, just to confuse everyone... It's hard to tell some times who is singing.



Feel-good song that you needed in 2019. Rather surprised to see how many commercials have used this song, with its prominent attention on Queer Eye - I mean, Carly had pretty much claimed the gays by now. Energetic and high on cats, the queen of love songs knows how to amp up the energy and get your spirits high. Adore Miss Jepsen for everything she's done, I can't wait what comes after Dedication.


He's just trying to conquer ever genre by this point. This might be my favourite Post Malone track to date, I found myself relating to this on a personal level. Seasons change, and so does the love - much as it hurts, you have to come to terms with your feelings. Didn't think I'd be surprised by an artist, but it goes to show how diverse Post Malone can be when he becomes vulnerable. Definitely a note-worthy song from this year.



Last minute changes have proven to be the best decisions, especially for Ariana Grande. The last track off of thank u, next, this song could have been the mood to my 2018... I won't get into that. Dark tones and playful lyrics create a love triangle that you can't shake off. The video has a fun twist though, so the message shouldn't be taken too seriously. But for the days you want to feel bad, this could be the soundtrack.



A friend of mine was thinking of this song, but couldn't think of the title. This song has bee on the radio nonstop, and it's one of the few that I can stand. From the jingle at the beginning to the build up in the chorus, it's a fun song that is rather lighthearted. Whether ruining a friendship is a thing or not (can't vouch on the subject), at least it was worth the try. Way to go Virginia to Vegas, you made another ear worm.



What a bop is this song, I can't believe Normani did that. Another artist who paid tributes to the early 2000s, this track proved that the former Fifth Harmony member deserves to be the centre of attention. The music video, however, got everyone wondering whether you can bounce a basketball off your booty - let me tell you, it's not easy. I hope that Normani comes to save Pop music in 2020!

No comments: