Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 40 to 31

E non ci pensare su che non si cancella più...




One of the most underrated songs, it actually tells a sad story. Have you ever been so in love that you want them around, all the time? Perhaps that's the first stages of love, but this mesmerizing song shows what it means to love someone so much, that it drives you crazy. Perhaps that's how it is sometimes, but even then, this song shows the affectionate, yet dark side of being someone's one. Absolutely brilliant.



When one song became overkill, you move on to the next single - perhaps that's why I enjoyed this track much more. Don't know why I associate xylophones with the tropics, but it's giving off a temptation island, go with the flow stance. Some times it's hard to give in to your urges, and maybe this song from the Brothers will be the motivation that's needed. Oh, how have the times have changed - but I'm not resisting.



Though a peaceful sounding song, there's a dark side to the story. Billie talks about suicide, but it turns out to be a dream. With the comfort of loved ones, she knows she'll be taken care of, no matter what happens. Mellow and relaxed, those thoughts are needed when your thoughts come creeping with such ideas. Maybe it's not such a cynical song, but more of a hopeful and comforting one.



Here it is, the one that topped all of Ed Sheeran's songs from No.6 Collaborations Project. In a series of releases, this track stood out to me the most, for its unexpected turn and interesting electronic sound that makes Ed come off as a punk. Better not mess with the crew, because she be doing CrossFit (shout out to my past life). But in all honesty, one of the best songs in a sea of, well, similar sounding tracks.


Not only did this song perform well in 2018, but also got an update for 2019. Calling in Tori Kelly, this song was meant to be a duet. You can feel the soulfulness and the excitement the duo have when they saw their brides on their special day, it's a moment they treasure. My brother used this song for his first dance - and honestly, there couldn't be any better choice. For the cheesiest love song of 2019, may it bring more happily ever afters.



I may have discussed about Hannah Montana earlier, but she's got nothing on Ashley O. From a Netflix series, this was a song that I didn't know I needed. With Nine Inch Nails giving grants to this unbeknownst parody, this song became one anthem of people mishearing O's proclamation on being a hoe (as if she's saying hey yeah whoa oh...) Maybe Metal and Pop music need to collide more often, this was a nice surprise.



I think I've been missing out on something, because I wasn't aware of Harry Styles' new music until the end of the year. Fortunately, this gem tickled my fancy, and I really enjoy the metaphors Styles puts in the song. It's like I've known this song for some time, despite being new... He's definitely bringing something back, but I can't put my finger on it. I hope to write music as beautiful as this one, it's become my inspiration.


Something old and something new, this is another song that disappeared throughout the year. Maybe its explicit content shied people away, but it's infectious. There were speculations who the song was addressing - but, it doesn't matter when he's willing to give his playboy days away for one person. While it's nothing new to The Weeknd to play into Electronics, it's cool to see a new artist to be added into the mix.



Found this next entry while I was shopping (I believe it was Urban Outfitters). Consider this song to be a mix of energy in a confused state of mind. Daya doesn't know what to feel, because her lover has been kind and gentle despite all of the nasty things she's done. Not knowing unconditional love, this collected piece provides a discussion to understand why he loves her so much... just don't push it.



Confusing, interesting, and intriguing. Since most of the song is sung in Spanish, I do not completely understand what's the storyline - but here is what I know: talking to strangers is the worst; Love can be like speaking two different languages; it takes a lot of work to understand one another. Strange collaboration, but I am loving everything that came out of this song. Now to find my duet partner to sing along to this...

No comments: