Thursday, December 26, 2019

Honourable Mentions

What a year it's been for music. From record-breaking hits to new emerging artists, people were inspired to sing it loud and proud. Before getting into the countdown, here are some songs that caught my attention in 2019.


This is for the misfits of creation...
Just at the end of the year, Kesha brings the spirits of her early years in this anti-gospel anthem. Putting a playful twist on the 'good to be bad' persona, religion gets thrown into a rowdy party. Not to mention, Big Freedia always gets the crowd pumpin'.

129 Lizzo ft Ariana Grande - Good As Hell
Lizzo's old songs in the limelight, and that's amazing - Ariana Grande wasn't necessary though.

128 Ingrid Michaelson - Missing You
Amazing how Michaelson was inspired by pop culture for this album. This song deserved attention.

127 The Weeknd - Heartless
I am looking forward to new music from The Weeknd, but I think this track could have been more.

126 Akon ft Becky G - Como No
Never knew that Akon could sing in Spanish, let alone make it catchy. People can surprise you.

125 Dan + Shay, Justin Bieber - 10,000 Hours
Overplayed at the moment, but it's melodic and sweet. Dan + Shay are the go-to for first dance songs.

124 Saweetie - My Type
How you like it, daddy? The surprise hit of the year, definitely check out the Jhené Aiko remix.

123 音阙诗听 & 赵方婧 (Yīn Quē Shī Tīng & Zhào Fāng Jìng) - 芒种 (Mang Zhong)
TikTok became a sensation - its music impressed me a lot. The dance though, was another level.

122 SZA, The Weeknd, Travis Scott - Power Is Power
Never seen "Game of Thrones," but the inspired music proved it to be something to check out.

121 Jeff Bernat - Cruel
Infuriating heartbreak you can't let go... Bernat has smooth style, look forward to hearing more.
What I'm aiming to be: really rich. I need to listen to more Hip Hop, I like this direction.

119 Khalid & Kane Brown - Saturday Nights (Remix)
Odd pairing that works. Goes to show that Country and Hip Hop need to get together more often.

118 Ed Sheeran ft Justin Bieber - I Don’t Care
Was on board for the collaboration album, and I enjoyed this song. Radio, however, killed the track.

117 Lauren Jauregui - More Than That
Not what I imagined when I heard Juregui was going solo. Need a song with more soul.

116 Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us
A song dedicated to his mother, I always have a soft spot for Louis. He's my favourite Directioner.

115 Jax Jones, Bebe Rexha - Harder
Wish I heard this song earlier, it's definitely a bop. Will most likely carry this song to 2020.

114 Greyson Chance - Boots
Once an artist under Ellen DeGeneres' record label comes out of his shell - and it's quite raunchy.

113 Dinah Jane - Retrograde
Again, not really feeling the vibe in this song - Dinah Jane needs a song that shows off her voice.

112 Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya
Not exactly the comeback that I was expecting, but it's interesting to see where Niall is going.

111 Ashley Tisdale - Love Me & Let Me Go
Alas, new music from a queen of covers. I can't wait to see what's next for Ashley, seems promising.

Different approach to the love song, but done in a cute way. You can't have love without hate.

109 Zedd & Kehlani - Good Thing
My anthem that I was missing most of 2019. I'm glad that I caught attention of this little gem.

108 Tones And I - Dance Monkey
On the verge of being played to death - but for now, I'll enjoy it. Thank Kevin McHale for the song.

107 Martin Garrix ft Macklemore & Patrick Stump - Summer Days
The unappreciated track for the season, the hype only lasted a period this year. Loved the funky beats.

106 Edgars Kreilis - Cherry Absinthe
Thought the boy was cute, and gave this song a chance... EuroPop needs to come to North America.

105 bülow - Boys Will Be Boys
Rhythmic and melodic, this painfully honest song will get stuck in your head. Not a bad thing at all.

104 Mark Ronson ft Camila Cabello - Find U Again
I found the direction of the song to be outstanding for bot artists. Wish I listened to this song more.

103 Sam Smith - I Feel Love
Releasing their rendition of the Donna Summer anthem, it's crazy to hear Smith hit those high notes.

102 Benny Blanco, Calvin Harris & Miguel - I Found You/Nilda’s Story (2019 Version)
Wasn't familiar with the original version of the song, but this is really beautiful, story and all.

The surprise of the year had to be Montero coming out - got to give it to the fans for figuring it out.

No comments: