Monday, December 31, 2018

Top 100 of 2018: 10 to 1



Sometimes when I look into your eyes, I pretend you're mine, all the damn time...




If you asked me about Camila Cabello's career a year ago, I couldn't care less. Now at the end of 2018, and now I'm more open to her music. This song is soft and romantic, placing her vulnerability in this piece. While I do believe this song works better as a duet with Kane Brown, the fact is that the song is charming, making it my favourite tracks from Cabello so far. There's something about her that I didn't see before...




The only single from Taylor Swift this year, which should not be ignored. I can always relate to her music, but this one is too close at heart. For those unanswered questions, we need to know how that other person feels, or even if we are on their mind. And the song is sung as a whisper, showing that these emotions can easily be broken. Softly loud, Taylor knows how to connect to her fans on such a human level.






Surprise! Carly Rae Jepsen came back with a new song. While I wasn't too keen on "Cut To The Feeling," I am on board with this self-loving anthem. Even though she's not over her interest, she's going to celebrate as if there's no worry in the world. Unexpectedly, she has managed to find her fanbase with the LGBTQ community, and I for one, am living for this turn in her career - just like how she made a proper vertical video.





While the song may be for the series "13 Reasons Why," it also reflects on Selena's personal life. I don't believe that was Gomez's intentions, but as for one who hasn't seen the show, I thought it was about someone else. Consider the song as a happy ending to a relationship, she said everything she humanly possibly could, and is ready to move on. Simple and exhilarating, my wife knows no wrong in her music.





Generic love song that I fall for every single time. It's the Ed Sheeran track of 2018 - but this time, it's by Canadian artist Tyler Shaw. You can tell that Shaw is so in love, writing this track for his now wife, doing everything just for her. With a guitar and minimal production, the lyrics will get to you. It's songs like these that make me excited for when I get to feel that love Shaw has experienced.




The Target jingle became one commercial success, and I believe it's much credit due to Marren Morris. The song was done in one take, while Morris was sick - who knew that being sick could sound so good? Looking at the commercial, it all makes so much sense. But if you listen to the lyrics, it's quite compelling - my romantic theme for the year, if you please. Check out the Chcachi & Dstar Remix, it's quite bopping.





Back in the same position, this time about struggle. Trying to find the happiness while becoming an adult is difficult, and Alessia Cara presents her worries so humbly. Much as people want to be on their own, they also need help - it just becomes hard when you don't know what you want. Mature and irresistible, my car jam of the year shows that Cara has a lot more growing up to do, and I can't wait to listen to the end results.





One listen is all it took for me to be in love with this track. Heard the song first at the American Music Awards, and I had to add this to my playlist. Fast-paced and soulful, this song brings out the best of the duo that is Diplo and Mark Ronson. If I know anything about love, I want it to sound like this, get amped up and excited to be in such a state. Thank you Dua Lipa, for being such a highlight of 2018.





Drake released a number of songs in 2018, but this one is the best. I found myself listening to this song all the time, let it be to get energized, or even when I'm really mad. Staying true to yourself is important, and you don't need any one to validate your points - a strong message from the rapper. Not to mention, the video displays a series of strong women, who are mad independent. Sampling Lauryn Hill was the cherry on top.




From the "Black Panther" soundtrack came to be my favourite song from 2018. Nothing will get in the way from reaching your goals, not even the negative people who feel that they're better than you. While love may get in the way at times, you know that there are bigger plans coming your way. Kendrick Lamar and SZA presented this piece in the best way, wrapping up 2018 in such fashion.

No comments: