Thursday, January 30, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 20 to 11

This is all I wanted to be...




Second time that I prefer an Alessia Cara remix compared to the original. Much as the ballad is soft and beautiful, I feel that the Devault Remix kicks it up a notch, creating a conflict that emphasizes the pain. That one burning question that lingers in your mind, it feels like the rhythm that won't escape you... But some times, it's best to not know. I truly believe that Alessia Cara deserves more attention when she makes songs like these.



Actually surprised that this song didn't gain a lot of attention - seems like the rest of the world knows good music. Going out with out a care, it seems like Mabel collected herself and wants to have fun. The attitude in the song is enough to change your mind when you're feeling down, picking yourself up and moving on. Need a vote of confidence? Just press play on this song, and you'll be on your way.



If there was one song to define 2019, this would be the one. Lil Nas X released a song to untie Country and Trap music together, only to be recognized as R&B and Hip Hop. Despite its genre, the song provided a fresh outlook into the year, wondering how long could a cowboy ride until he can't no more (not thinking bad things, now). One of the rare songs that gets every generation singing along, X is here to change the game.



Didn't know I needed this song until I listened to it. While X Ambassadors may be known for one song, I hope that more people pay attention to this stomper of a hit. When you need to feel bad or need a pump up song, look no further. Walking away from someone never felt so powerful, and that heavy drum beat is all you need. Whether it's working out or on the way to work, this song get me feeling myself for sure.



What is there to say about this song? Let's begin with the sample from The Sound of Music, which was a fun twist for the song; the similarities in this mash-up, where 2 Chainz eventually was added in a remix; and the unforgettable tattoo, which stopped Grande from pursuing Japanese. But despite its controversies, this song has become the motto for the single life: get what you want, no obligations, no worries. Yeah, that's my jam.



Once in a while, there are performances that make me like the song more - cue in Halsey's American Music Awards performance. With such intensity and passion, you can feel every word linger on your skin. It's a vow that's strong, even death can keep them apart. A beautiful argument that doesn't go anywhere, this love is confusing. And that heavy breathing at the end? Oh my, I felt that. What an amazing piece.



I love a good irony, especially in music. So when this ditty came out, I found myself puzzled. For one part, the song has a joyous tune, but with the lyrics, it's rather sad. Constant arguments, only to win with a drink and a smoke? Something doesn't quite add up, and yet you want to keep on going like nothing happened. Ignorance is bliss, and it doesn't get any better than this song.



To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of this song when it came out. Dua Lipa started the year with a song for Alita (which was okay), and ended the year with a banger! Sticking to that Pop Dance route, she gained the confidence from New Rules and transformed into a don't-give-a-damn kind of woman. Got to love a woman who can serve, as well as dance, the song. Dearest Dua, you slayed another one.



Why didn't I know about Westlife's music for the past 15 years, someone please tell me! While the band remains with four members, it's amazing how fresh this song sounds. Getting recognition in other parts of the world, I feel like a pre-teen again, believing in love for the first time. The song is innocent and pure, it can easily be a wedding song... Maybe I found my first dance song? If you excuse me, I have some catching up to do.



Sampling music done right, and it's flawless. I feel that Katy Perry didn't get enough credit in 2019, and this song proves that Pop music is very much alive. I loved the Dagny song Love You Like That, and made it something her own. Looking back to a past love (intimate or not), and saying there's still a chance to getting back that feeling. Always have faith that anything can happen. Always.

No comments: