Sunday, January 5, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 90 to 81

Better than birds of a feather, you and me...




While I might not be the biggest Little Mix fan, you got to admit that the girl group has been going strong for the past seven years. I appreciate the change in sound from these ladies, however, the trend of Latin vibes needs to stop. Dancing around a pondering relationship, the tension builds up only to leave you feeling, empty. Perhaps that was the song's intention, but I feel like there needs to be a response back now.




I asked my friend what are his favourite songs this year, and he presented this 90s-esque jam. This collaboration between two note-worthy artists show that a simple beat is all you need to make a gem of a song. And it's really cool to hear the artists' tone come out - you don't really hear tones when artists sing. This is a laid-back way to rid that former lover.





Sometimes, there needs to be an element of extra. Todrick Hall's rise to fame has grown over the years, and I'm glad to see him making his own music. Although explicit in the best way, a very confident person has to sing this song to get the point through. I am looking forward to coming out moments like these in the upcoming years, I can only expect the best from those expressing their true colours.




Songs about discovering love have a soft spot in my heart. With such innocence and subtlety, Troye Sivan gets curious and wants to know more about his interest. The visuals basically describe the emotions, although some scenes made me squirm. One of the best songs off of "Bloom," it's no wonder this fan-favourite track got the attention it deserved. May all of 2020 bring the best for Sivan.




Was downloading a series of songs earlier this year, and this one caught my attention. How ever the song is interpreted, there's a beautiful confusion that comes out of a relationship. While being away has grown the couple apart, being together has also changed them. I really like Olivia Holt's vocals, there is an eeriness in her voice that adds depth to the song. Such creativity behind this Nicky Romero track.




The return of the Jonas Brothers was surprisingly big! For a band that started off with a Disney Channel fan base, I was surprised how all of a sudden their songs got played on the radio. While I do find this song amusing and an excellent way to come back, the falsettos and guitar riff was played a bit much. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good song - radio took the advantage, and made this their first No. 1 single.





Lights has been changing her sound in recent years, and it keeps getting better. Fun yet serious, the collaboration with Felix Cartal plays with vocal manipulation in this mellow EDM track. If love was easy as this track, then there would be no problem with figuring out the complex emotion. Frustration never sounded so sweet, as it brings out a different side of both artists.




Talk about writing a song that no one has ever done! It's easy to say that the song is cynical, but it's quite entertaining. Synthesizers add a theatricality for the number, creating a scheme that can't be sung out loud. If this the type of material that comes out of teen angst, then I can't wait to see what the next generation will bring out - it's definitely creative.




Whether you believe Taylor Swift is an ally for LGBTQ+ rights, the song has made an impact for the community. The song shows the attitude Swift has for homophobia, which is no tolerance whatsoever. The marketing behind the song was clever, with a release during Pride month and having cameos from a number of celebrity friends in the video. The saving salvation? Making amends with a friend, and moving on from yourself.





Back in March, I went on vacation with my friend to Las Vegas, and Sam Feldt was playing on one of the nights. One of the best club nights in recent years, I checked out Feldt's music - to my surprise, I did not expect such a calm-sounding song. The track is reminiscent of an Imogen Heap song, and I appreciate that. Perhaps it's time to give EDM artists another shot.

No comments: