Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 70 to 61

Did ya catch my name, yea...


A song that I stumbled upon earlier in the year (I was rather eager to find new music). What I enjoy about this song has to be its universal message: letting go is hard, but it's necessary. I'm not sure how Tracy Chapman could help by being a friend, but it's a rather soothing and calming line to begin the song. Overall, I really enjoy the path where Mike Posner is taking his music.



It's a surprise to see Chris Brown making good music, possibly better than his earlier efforts. Whether you love or hate the artist, you can't deny that this song is fine. Soft and subtle, enlisting Drake for the chorus, it's a formula that works on so many levels. I don't even mind the auto tune on Brown's vocals. Whatever has been going through that mind, keep songs like these coming.



Pretty sure I saw this song on a YouTube advertisement, and I'm glad that I stayed. It's been quite the journey for Greyson Chance, who is no longer a boy by any means. The dedication for this one person shows the vulnerable side of Chance, as he grows up and make mature musical with such beautiful melodies. I have not listened to the album, but I look forward to see what else is on Portraits.



In another realm of letting go, some times there's that one person that's stuck on you. That absence of love makes you feel nothing, and yet every emotion comes flowing in. And if that's not hard enough, there's that love triangle you can't understand - when that person starts dating someone, of the opposite sex. Oh Kehlani, this is too relatable on so many levels.



What an interesting concept: a story told by both perspectives of the artists. The revision of the song by Drax Project shows their original concept of their single, and two years later it became a duet. While the production includes more instruments, I must admit that I do enjoy the duet compared to the solo rendition. There's something about Hailee's voice that's so soothing.



Every one loved this song when it came out - except for me. Honestly, I thought the role reversal was rather odd (that, or Bruno Mars being so sexual in the video). Regardless, the song eventually grew on me. My favourite line of the song would have to be the reference to horchata, which I may have shout too loud while in LA. Surprise this song wasn't as big as I expected.



Released a bit late for the summertime, but Alessia Cara came strong with this song. It's a bummer to find out someone isn't what you thought they were; but even then, that shouldn't stop you from having fun. It's not sad, but rather disappointing as Alessia Cara sends the horns for this somewhat of a pity party. Oh well, time to get back into your own groove.




I was having Korean fried chicken when this song popped up on the television. To be honest, I didn't even know BoA was making music this year, let alone with such an infectious sound. BoA's style of music may have changed, but the high energy still lingers in this track. Because after all, what else gets you moving other than curiosity of a love interest?

Sounds familiar? I don't think the intentions of the song was to copy another song from Selena Gomez, although, that could be a cool concept. At first, I wasn't much into the song, but more of the visuals. Given some time, I really enjoyed the confidence of stating she's a hot commodity, and that she'll take matters on her own time. Nothing more attractive than a boss woman wifey.


Like the 90s, but with a calm attitude. No matter what happens, some things remain the same. There's not one feeling that I can put my finger on with this song, which makes it very intriguing. Such a simple beat, with some major dilemmas. It's the yin and yang of a single, and it's incomplete without its counterparts. Such a stunning song that I find myself keep coming back.

No comments: