Monday, January 27, 2020

Top 100 of 2019: 50 to 41

And you hate me, and I want more...





The titular track to kick off a new era, Taylor Swift definitely knows how to write them love songs. Coming out of her personal diaries, this song feels like coming home. All of the thoughts have such sweetness to them, letting friends sleepover in their house to saving dirty jokes for their one dedicated person. Which ever version you prefer, I am glad that a youthful side of Taylor came back.



Out of all the clubs I've been to this year, this one song caught my attention. Not sure what it was, but I found myself enjoying my time in the club in a long time. A blanket of security mixed with uncertainty, it's a forbidden love that makes you want to hold your lover even closer. After that first listen, I come back to this song to get me awake.



I have a soft spot for Louis, his solo career is unique, and is unafraid to try different genres of music. This one comes hard with the Rock sound, even if it's considered Pop. Of all the sounds he's experimented, I find this one most suitable. And I really appreciate how Tomilinson listens to his fans (he's even going on a world tour!) Looking forward to the new sounds he'll bring in to 2020.



Some days Ms. Aiko wants to be savage, and other days, she wants to be sweet; this song provides both sides that creates one interesting conflict. Much as Jhené is at peace, she wants to let go of the bad energy that was her past. Not to mention, Big Sean hits it hard at the end, saying whatever happened doesn't matter any more. Add in a soft background, it makes whoever this person was feel guilty. What a way to hit things hard.



Most of you would know this artist for her work in Frozen 2, but I found about her while I was on a musical adventure, thanks to the world wide web. There was something so different about Aurora's sound that I wish would come to North America. Adventurous and whimsical, the insanity drives one crazy, hungry for something that's unknown. Perhaps we all need to find the inner beast that haunting deep inside of us.



Now this is the MIKA that I've come to known and love! With a desperate need to cool down, this kitschy retro song proves that hidden innuendos are still an amusement. While the falsettos are missed, there's still that spunk that I always enjoy in a MIKA track. However you interpret the cold confection, know that it's most wanted... I definitely will be taking a lick when the swimming pool is laughing at me.



Wasn't going to add this song to the countdown, considering it's a remix. However, with the increased radio play, it became hard to resist the work Kygo did to Whitney Houston. Originally a slow song, it's incredible to find myself so happy when this song comes on. Hopeful and full of energy, this song can turn my mood around in an instant. Can't wait for the Steve Winwood rendition to come out!


At first, I wasn't sure what to think of Sam Smith dancing in his music video... but then I thought, why not? If an artist wants to try new things, let them! Although not a vocal challenge that we're use to, it's great to see Smith adventuring through their music. I do know that this song may not have been popular, but I love the random sounds that comes after the chorus. And honey, continue to dance.



Talk about teenage days coming back! It's the song I didn't know I needed, and it has the soul of revival in this one. Jame Morrison may be brokenhearted, but he has to keep moving forward, showing no burdens whatsoever. I can't believe how much I miss Joss Stone, and she sounds exactly the same to add emphasis on giving a damn. Strong people they are, reminding us that we are better than to be sad.


Image result for calvin harris - giant art

Seems like this was the forgotten song of 2019. I mean, radios would play the song, but after a while, it just disappeared. When two genres of music collide, they create masterpieces such as this one. I always appreciate what Calvin Harris does with his music, adding some funk to the sound that he's use to playing. And I wouldn't mind more Rag'n'Bone Man in my life as well.

No comments: