Sunday, December 23, 2018

Sincerely, 2017







While 2018 had some big songs, there were a few from 2017 that slowly grew in popularity throughout this year. I like to focus on these songs, as they gained the attention that they deserved. So without further adieu, these are my favourite songs of 2018, released in 2017.


One look in my eyes, and you should know the truth...

10 AGST - Breeze

Release Date: September 20, 2017

I don't usually listen to instrumental music, but when I stumble upon one, I'll give it a try. I heard this song in a
video, and was allured by the introduction. The essence of the song is magical, and definitely worth the listen.
The song may sound repetitive, but I find myself wishing that the song would have been longer. Consider the track
as an ode to childhood toys, this is what it would sound like if those toys were to mature with you.



Release Date: December 5, 2017

Eerie, but beautiful in its own way. The couple created a love song that doesn't follow the typical mode, and it's
really appealing to see a different take on the subject. Despite what every one else has to say, their relationship
works out between the two of them. It's a shame that this duo did not last, but at least they created one solid
alternative love song.



Release Date: October 6, 2017

When I was making the year-end countdown for 2017, I already had all of the songs compiled and arranged...
However, I forgot about this one, which actually turned out to be a big hit for the band in 2018. While the song
follows the band's typical format, the slur of lyrical content makes the song interesting. Makes you wonder got
into Imagine Dragon's head, and hopefully they will continue to come up with new ideas like this one.


Release Date: October 20, 2017

An artist who knows how to make some brilliant music - seriously, North America needs to give more opportunities to Rita Ora! Heard this song while shopping one day, and thought how strange of a song. As I continued listening, I got especially hooked on the manipulation part after the chorus, which sounds like gibberish (and I'm sure it is). But I found myself listening more to this song because of that part. North America, you have no idea what you're missing out.



Release Date: July 13, 2017

Think I heard the remix first, but either way, it's a golden track. Foster The People have come a long way since
their debut, and I enjoy when they make smooth love songs like this one. Whether it's that build up in the end, or
the singer's falsettos getting higher, there's no denial that this song makes you want to feel something. Nothing
quite like a romance that bloom naturally.



Release Date: November 10, 2017

Some times I'll let YouTube autoplay into the next video, which is exactly how I found this track. The video caught
my attention, with the simple layout, and frantic dancing going all over the place. What sounds like a high energy
song comes with a bittersweet message - it was something I can relate to from this year. Give it to Norwegians to
come up with infectious Pop hits that needs to arrive in North America.



Release Date: October 4, 2017

Was watching some choreography videos online, and stumbled upon a routine to this song. Although I cannot recall
which video it was, the song stuck with me. Haven't really followed Fergie's new music, but this one was a song to
watch. Everything about this song is sexy, from the vocals to the background thumps, the whole arrangement oozes
sex - that's one fine session within three minutes.




Release Date: October 13, 2017

One of the cutest songs I have heard in a while. Another song I heard in a store, during Valentine's Day - it's not
hard to see why this song was appropriate for the season. How many times does "I love you" get sung, I've lost
count - but hearing that endlessly is a simple pleasure. The remix is what I prefer, although it's not much different
from the original. If love had a soundtrack, this would definitely be on there, it's too much that my heart can handle.



Release Date: December 28, 2017


Didn't realize how big of an act Allie X has become since her 2014 release of "Catch" (I still love that song!) Having two songs on radio play, I preferred the later for its creative content. One of my favourite lines from the song would have to be about lying on the bed of one's tongue - sounds explicit, but clean at the same time. Quite a different turn from the typical mellow singer, but am enjoying this fxxkboy anthem. Preach, sister!





Release Date: May 19, 2017

Not sure how this song gained attention, but I'm glad it did. I heard about Lauv from a friend with "Paris In The Rain," and I was interested to hear what else he had to offer. In comes this song, which was already popular in Australia, slowly reaching North America and becoming the love song of the year. Basically, violins are the easiest way for a song to reach the top - but there was more than simply an instrument. The first few lines are what I want: to be young, and in love, in New York city - one day, it's going to happen to me.

No comments: