Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Top 100 of 2018: 100 to 91

Can you find me?




Was excited to see the return of Justin Timberlake, it's been five years since he last made music. With rumours
that the album was going to have a country flare, it was simply the album title that caught people off guard.
With this track, he attempted bringing sexy back... that was so 2006. Trying to recreate that magic 12 years
later, and it comes off as some strange experiment - just like its video counterpart. For the five-minute track,
it's not a bad start to kick off the Top 100.




Don't know much about this artist, but the song caught my attention. What started as a demo in 2016 eventually
became a single two years later. The song tells the story of who he is, what's happened in his life, and the year
he's born (in 1994). A personal song I'm sure that Benjamin worked hard on, but it's hard to compare the 2016
to the 2018 renditions. Both have their strengths, and shows the versatility of his styles. To Alec Benjamin,
may 2019 bring you continuous success.





Showing off a softer side of himself, Troye Sivan displays a track with a bittersweet message. Coming to terms
of a past relationship, Sivan brings the ears to an auditory sensation, adding layers through vocal synthesizers
and beautiful beginnings (as well as endings). Easily, this song could be anyone's theme for that one love you
thought would be the one.




Didn't think much about this song, but then I listened to the lyrics of the song... Not to mention, the video is
an emotional one. That's the thing about Electronic music: they may all sound the same, but the content
always bring in the feels. And honestly, who wouldn't want to wish the best to the people they love?
Maybe Bastille will venture into EDM now, it made an impression on me.





Saw her once on TV, and she peaked my interest. Ella Mai had a lot of success this year, and this track was
what got everyone getting to know her. I wish I took more time to look into her music, especially when I
discovered that she has been nominated for a Grammy for this song - it's not hard to see why. Big things
are coming for Ella Mai, and I would love to see her perform on stage.






2018 marked the return of Christina Aguilera, who has been experimenting with her music. When I first
approached this single, I was pumped up to see what the artist could deliver... This song was definitely
a grower, and the "Bangerz" ala Miley Cyrus video didn't help me get into the track. But who knows
what's next for Christina, she can do so much more with her music. I am waiting for the next album to come.






Some Canadian content entering the countdown, and it's really catchy! This song would periodically pop
on the radio, and to me, it sounded a bit Alternative for mainstream radio - I liked that. The band is from
Halifax, and show a different side of Canadian music. If anything, the chorus will keep you going
"way-oh-way-oh" all day long.






Whenever you see the name "Becky Hill," know that the song is going to be a powerhouse anthem.
Tackling the complicated relationship, this song makes you want to dance to your problems - and
sometimes, that is the best solution when you don't want to think about it any more. A thrill of a ride,
this song can help you go through what's on your mind. Feel it in, and express it out loud. The scream
and shout of 2018.





Thought I would have been more excited with the song, but maybe it was just Selena Gomez and the way she whispers "DJ Snake." The song is one epic collaboration with some of the hottest acts in music, and it's a banger for sure - but I didn't find myself wanting to hit 'repeat' on the track. After one listen, I was good until I heard the song play in the background. But there is no doubt that Spanish music is making a big impact to mainstream media - time to welcome the world.






A song that came out of nowhere at the end of the year, and it's relatable on many levels. The Chainsmokers always surprise me, you can't predict what sound they come with next. This mellow track takes a turn from their typical EDM sounds, and puts out a false love that you wish could come true. And Winona Oak has that folk-sound that works on this collaboration. Hope this song rings in 2019 right.

No comments: