Monday, December 24, 2018

Top 100 of 2018: 60 to 51


And I wanna fall like snowfall, just to melt on your pillow...



One day, in my head, I was wondering what happened to artist Paloma Faith. To my curiosity, I looked up the artist and discovered that she recently made a song with Sigala. While most Sigala songs have the same format, this one takes a different approach, and comes off as a beach party track - at least, in my head. A fine collaboration I never knew that I needed, it fulfills the question I had about Paloma Faith.





Nothing like that old school vibe mixed in with modern day messages. Meghan Trainor knows how to bring some funk in this single, having fun with the glittery confection of a song. Although predictable, you can't help but get into a groove whenever Ms. Trainor has something to say. For the unapologetic woman that will take nothing from anyone, you were raised better than that.





Sounds familiar to their previous hit single, and yet I like this one better. To me, there is more depth to the song, and the lyrics are more relatable - that, or I'm relating more to this song. There is that relief when you no longer want that someone you've been eyeing for a while, only to let go and not care anymore. What I thought I wouldn't like turned out to be one surprise of a single. Consider this the song I didn't know I needed.





This should be the song that makes Bebe Rexha a Pop star. Her voice can handle many genres, but I believe she was destined for Pop music. Take this single, where she puts her maniac-like behaviours into another dimension. From the conflicting pain she puts on herself to the music video choreography - how can you not admire her passion for the music? One person's problem can sometimes become beautiful piece.





Little Mix isn't a band that I necessarily follow, I usually find songs out of the whim. This song, I discovered during Pride, to a trio of lip-syncing drag queens... It was a stunner. The collaboration with Cheat Codes displays a more tamed sound that comes out intense, with the breaks adding another dimension to the song. Perhaps this is the sound of finding that one true love that you can't get over.





Yet again we have another song that throws back to the songs of yesteryear - but I find myself dancing to this one. With all of the references to the last year of the 90s, Charli XCX and Troye Sivan take you on a nostalgic run that may be too much to handle. The song is much more enjoyed with the video pairing, and with such a bubbly tune, how can you possibly hate this reminder of one of the best years?





There was something about this song that reminded me of DNCE's "Cake By The Ocean," but I am not complaining. Francesco Yates released this song, wondering if he's still on your mind. You may act cool and laid back, but he knows what's going on - you cannot resist temptations. All done to a bass-heavy track, the young man is growing up more confident than ever.





To be honest, I am not completely sure what the song is about, but it's a real mood-changer. All I want to do is hang out and chill. The one line that catches my attention is when Post Malone talks about being stuck in the friend zone - I'm sure he wants more than that. If anything, it's like a romantic ballad for 2018, a bunch of sweet nothings done to a vibe-out tune. What more could one ask?




Instances where second thoughts shouldn't be considered. With just a look, that's all it takes to know what you want. DJ Khaled can truly make any collaboration fire, and this one is no exception. Teaming up with some of the hottest acts of 2018, they create one fluid song, as if everything fell into place quite nicely. You'd think you get annoyed by the chipmunk voices in the background, but it adds a nice cherry to the top the track.




Can never get enough of Canadian content, and I cannot thank the radio for my fill-up. Shaun Frank and Dragonette provide vocals to English DJ Digital Farm Animals, and the results are quite pretty. The imagery painted in the song are enough to take you to another place from every day life. Needing to get away is what I need to do more in 2019, and this song may be the tip of the iceberg.

No comments: