Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sincerely, 2013

Although some songs have made it big this year, their release date indicates that it has been a year too late. This time, I have compiled a Top 15 due to the lack of Canadian content I found. What is included in this list that is not part of the Top 100? Check it out.


Running from the dark, but I just can't hide...



Release Date: September 16, 2013

Did anyone else know about him from the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show? It is a rather uncomfortable song, as he uses a euphemism for the body in a strange way. Either way, it has made a huge impact in the past few weeks, and I'm pretty sure it'll grow on me soon.











Release Date: June 21, 2013

Saxophones, guitar strums, and a whole lot of amplified attitude makes this piece rather irresistible. With the humorous use of a song title, it shows its fun through the lyrics, as even the song doesn't take it seriously. For that, I commend Finlay for the effort.









13 MKTO - Classic



Release Date: June 20, 2013

The underrated song of the summer, you think this would have topped the charts for its easy-going, go-with-the-flow love. Describing your love to all of the legends of music is the only way to show your real emotions. After all, that's what music is all about.












Release Date: October 17, 2013

As I begin to like more and more of Reid's current material, I do think her work is trying to be more... mature? It's not exactly the direction I thought she would go compared to her previous efforts, although I must admit, it's one of my favourites from her so far.









11 Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong



Release Date: April 12, 2013

Seems like European acts breakthrough once they have conquered their own continent. So when this little song exploded the radio, I was taken away by everything, from their production to the presentation of the video. I only expect divine sounds from the duo.






10 MAGIC! - Rude


Release Date: October 10, 2013

To break the Top Ten, we have the band that took the world with their massive hit. There was period where I hated this song so much just because it was everywhere. But now, pretty good with it. After all, who ever heard of a Canadian Reggae band? Exactly...









09 Jason Derulo ft 2 Chainz - Talk Dirty



Release Date: August 2, 2013

How come this song made an impact only this year? It's addictive, and that horn gets me... well, you know. You would think that after a few listens I would be sick of it, but I just can't get enough. If he keeps up this game, don't think all of that sexy can't be handled.









08 Katy Perry ft Juicy J - Dark Horse



Release Date, December 17, 2013

Mysterious and dark, this song has to be one of Perry's finest work. It does remind me of another song, but I can't recall the title. Definitely the direction she should take her music to - the only fallback: the video. Not exactly what I was thinking at all.









07 John Newman - Losing Sleep



Release Date: December 15, 2013

Holding onto that feeling, not sure where it'll take you. The madness and insanity in this song is felt in the instrumentals, as it takes you on this journey of wondering what will happen next. I swear, John Newman can do no wrong when it comes to music.








06 John Legend - All Of Me



Release Date: August 8, 2013

Consider it the love song of the year. Nothing is more sexy than an artist simply with one instrument to create an honest and beautiful piece that points out the flaws that simply makes them their everything. And with a voice like butter, it's incredibly smooth.








05 Naughty Boy ft Sam Smith - La La La



Release Date: May 18, 2013

One would think that a repetitive 'la la la' sequence would be annoying, especially in that voice. But somehow, it adds depth to the song the message delivered ties in with the video. Another reason to hop on the Sam Smith train. Thank Naughty Boy for that.









04 Serena Ryder - Fall



Release Date: November 27, 2013

This feels like going back in time. It's honest and sincere, where I'm stuck in a time where honestly doesn't hurt. This has to be my favourite Serena Ryder song just for its kindheartedness, you can feel it in her vocals. I hope to hear more songs like this from her.









03 Mat Zo & Porter Robinson - Easy



Release: April 14, 2013

Though it may not have been everywhere in your face, this song is a spectacular EDM piece. It's energetic, vibrant, and vivacious. Sure, there may be only three sentences song in here, but it's simply stated, with nothing interfering the beat. That's why it's my jam!









02 Rudimental ft Emeli Sandé - Free



Release Date: November 18, 2013

It boggles me how I did not find this song last year... I just discovered this band last year, and I constantly fall in love with their work. This is peace: not afraid to look at fear straight in the eye and take every chance that comes your way. It's breathtaking.







01 American Authors - Best Day Of My Life



Release Date: March 19, 2013


One of the happiest songs I've ever heard, I can't help but smile every time I hear it playing any time my ears catch that guitar strum at the beginning. And with such an optimistic view to life, what's there to argue about? So the question is: when is that day for you?

No comments: