Thursday, December 7, 2017

Top 100 of 2016: 100 to 91

The Top 100, coming a year after...



I'm a lowkey freak, you don't know me yet...

I really do love Jhené Aiko, and I was excited to hear new music from her! Found this one too late in the year, which makes just the cut. To be honest, this sound goes on another level - not really a singable song, but I do appreciate her trying something new.







099 No Way Back ft Mike Beatz - Doin’ It Well

Can't recall how I found this song. One part 90s, one part modern, and you've got this song. This one still has to grow on me, I can't place my finger why I don't enjoy it much as I should. Maybe I am getting old for Dance songs? Yeah, right...





Is it just me, or do most of the songs from Spinnin' Deep tend to sound similar? Once you listen to one, you've listened to them all. This one is another example of the same material - but this time, saxophones are involved. If not violins, saxophones will do.






097 Mayer Hawthorne - Cosmic Love


For an artist that creates lively music, this one is more of a sleeper. Hawthorne attempts mood setting with this single, as he sings in his falsetto. Definitely a slow jam, but maybe too slow for my cup of tea.







096 Zayn - Pillow Talk


The debut from Zayn Malik did not disappoint. So why so low? Overplayed, the song lost its magic. The sound was new and refreshing the first few times... and then the video came out, and all I think about are box fighting unicorns. Sweet dreams are made of these?






095 Jordan Fisher - All About Us


What a pleasant surprise. After hearing about Jordan Fisher from Moana, I had to find out more about him. Turns out, he also has some really good music. Perhaps it's too early to say where his career will take him, but I look forward to see more from this double threat (so far, dance and vocals are definitely on point!)





094 Tory Lanez - LUV


This is the song that would get stuck in your head, but can never identify the name. Oh how I wish I enjoyed this piece more often in 2016. Daystar Peterson created such a simple song, yet it was super catchy. Hope to hear more of him in 2017, this is just the beginning for him.






093 Andrew Allen - What You Wanted


The absence of Canadian acts was astounding. I had to look for more content on the list, and I couldn't forget about Andrew Allen. Very similar to his other singles, but on a faster tempo. I get his style, but he should experiment with other sounds to see what also suits him. Only one can handle so much guitar.





092 Alex Da Kid ft X Ambassadors, Elle King, & Wiz Khalifa - Not Easy


Another song I am not completely sure how I found about it - perhaps I was looking up X Ambassadors? But it's a heartfelt song, about letting go of someone once loved. And who knew that all of these talents would create such a masterpiece? A sham that it didn't get more attention, this is missing in the mainstream: honesty.





091 Lady Gaga - Million Reasons

When I heard Lady Gaga was coming with a new album, I was not expecting such a, tamed sound. Stefani Germanotta can create such stunning pieces, and this one gives it heart in a Country tune. With her diverse vocals, Lady Gaga cannot disappoint. The performances are awesome, yet this single never got to me. After a few more listens, I will definitely start to like this song.

No comments: