Saturday, December 9, 2017

Top 100 of 2016: 80 to 71


Earned all this money but they never take the country out me...

080 Flume ft Kai - Never Be Like You

I am still iffy about this song - at first, I really enjoyed the song. After a few plays, I felt as though the chorus got boring very fast. And now? I don't mind the song that much any more. The chime sounds what lured me in, and the random sound effects kept me till the end. If this is what an apology sounds like, I'll have to hear what happens when Flume is in love.







079 Kanye West - Fade


Have you seen the video? Everyone needs to see it (assuming you are the age of majority!) Aside from the visuals, the song has an excellent rhythm. If Kanye West is good at, it's definitely sampling - have you heard the last five songs he's released? But all aside, he brilliantly knows how to make something out of a small loop.







078 John Legend - Love Me Now


Oh look, another love song from John Legend. But there is nothing wrong with making countless love songs. This time, John Legend makes this ballad upbeat, which resulted to be a commercial success. For me however, it was a bit too much to hear this all over the place. Love is in the air, I get it - now let's get back to "Ordinary People" days.






077 Beyoncé Knowles - Formation


I did not understand the whole fascination behind the "Lemonade," until I experienced the visual... I understand the significance of this song. While this ventures into new sounds for Beyoncé, she naturally fit herself into this masterpiece. Took me a while to get into the piece, but I definitely appreciate what Mrs. Carter did.







076 Twenty One Pilots - Heathens


When you have friends that listens to three songs, one of them is bound to get into your head... This was one of them. From the eeriness to the vocal mutilation, it's not something I usually enjoy. But one thing is for sure: this song is stuck in my head. The duo may admit that they are not creative, but it really shows within the 3:15. 







075 Ariana Grande ft Nicki Minaj - Side To Side


There is something about workout videos that correlate to catchy songs. But be warned: Ariana Grande is not talking about a traditional workout. While the video is vibrant and tastefully explicit, the song has gotten me questioning myself whether I should be bopping, or shrugging to it for its subtlety. Get Nicki Minaj, and for sure this song will be a monster hit - but I think Ariana could have done better.





074 Utada Hikaru - 真夏の通り雨 (Midsummer Shower)

2016 marked the return of Utada Hikaru, and I couldn't have been happier. Not only did she come out with new music, but she released two singles at the same time! Let's start with this one: more of a sad tone, this song talks about leaving the one they love, and the pain they go through. Although I was not much of a fan of the song, I find the artistry reminiscent of former Utada Hikaru tracks. Welcome back, J-Pop!





073 Ria Mae - Ooh Love (Neon Dreams Remix)


Thoroughly surprised by the Canadian artist, who keeps on releasing new music. Adding a twist to the original, the remix keeps you interest as the song progress. Who knew that random noises would be a great touch, and the missing element to a nearly catchy tune.







072 Calvin Harris ft Rihanna - This Is What You Came For


Not sure what it was about Calvin Harris and 2016, but I wasn't really feeling his music. This song is, at most, okay. I do love Rihanna's airy vocals in this piece, including the ooh-ooh parts (I still wonder if she sang each ooh, or if that was edited). But regardless, there was substance missing. Despite being a massive hit for both artists, I still enjoy the song, even if it's not my favourite. 

Look what we have here, an up and coming artist. The radio claimed that she is the artist to watch, and I definitely agree. Due Lipa created an infectious song that makes you crave for more and more every time. The best part must go to the *mwah* sounds - can't help but sing along with her!

No comments: