Monday, March 31, 2014

5 Best 1 Worst Of: One-Hit Wonders

As we come to the end of March Madness, there is only one category left that needs to be mentioned. Collectively, they are the singles that got everyone falling in love with them... Even though it only lasted for the duration of the song. Without further adieu, let's rank the Best & Worst of...

One-Hit Wonders

I almost forgot about Nine Days' Hit Single. Is it part of the Best 5 though?


[5] City High - What Would You Do?


When the 2000s came, this song was the jam! That being said, I never understood the line "sleep with a man for a little bit of money..." now I do. It's truly a sad song, and the message was well delivered.

[4] Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5


You have to admit: this was the bomb. I don't think I have ever gotten tired of this song, and I'm pretty sure I played this so many times just to remember the ladies' name... It was hard as a child!

[3] Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come One Eileen


This is good music at a prom (get the reference?) It's folky, it's danceable, and best of all, it was just a joy to listen to. Not sure who Eileen is, but me thinks that she was having a blast when this came on.

[2] Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting


Asian stereotyping? Perhaps, but when it's this fun, you really can't resist its charm. It puts an insta-smile every time I hear it. Although this was his only Hit, he remixed it with Bus Stop (even better!)

[1] New Radicals - You Get What You Give


This right here is the essence of my childhood. From the caging of the adults to the backwards-worn Mickey shirt, it was captivating what life was all about. Even for a few minutes, this was simply best.

[WORST] Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy


Must I really say why this is the worst? It is funny and his accent is... creepy, but nonetheless, this is its own parody of a song. In 2007, it got more racy with a re-release of a remix. It's somewhat better...

No comments: