Sunday, February 5, 2012

Get Together: Songs 151 to 160

Animated films, Europop, and some teen rock - Madonna conquers Day 15.


Song #157: If it's bitter at the start, then it's sweeter in the end...

Song 151: Taio Cruz ft Kylie Minogue & Travie McCoy - Higher

One thing I don't get are year-end countdowns. How do they work, and which songs are considered as part of the year when they're released in December?

Either way, I thought this was such a fun song. Add some collaborations, and it makes it even bigger. How come this wasn't such a hit? I'm confused, it's got a positive vibe and it makes you feel like nothing can get in the way when you're reaching for the stars. It should have been released as one song, don't you think?



Song 152: Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram - Somewhere Out There

I don't actually remember watching this movie when I was young - so when I saw this in my cousin's home video collection, I had to see it again!

This is such a wonderful song, and it always makes me want to cry. It's so beautiful, and the film version is too adorable! Always pleasant to hear that there is someone thinking of you, being together while far away from one another. So pretty, it's touching.




Song 153: Fefe Dobson - Can't Breathe

I can't believe Fefe Dobson is only on her second album. I tend to like her songs, but this one, I'm a little on the edge. It's not that I can't stand it, but it is slow... maybe too slow?


It makes me sad, and that's what it's suppose to do, yet her vocals are well presented in this song. I do like the climax of the song, it's like she's breaking down, and where her voice becomes so powerful that you can feel her pain.




Song 154: Pin-Ochio - When You Wish Upon A Star

The song that creates all of the magic. It is the logo song, but honestly, how many of you enjoyed Pinocchio? I thought it was dark and scary, that I would turn into a donkey if I were on bad behaviour. Good thing this is fiction.

It gives you hope and belief, and nothing's wrong with that. When you hold onto hope, surely everything will come true.



Song 155: Amy Adams & James Marsden - True Love's Kiss

One of the best movies ever made! I love Enchanted, everything about it is so right, no flaws about it.

The intro just kills me: the cute land creatures, monsters, a happy ending. This song just sums it all up to make a fantastic animated film. How did we never question the movies we saw all growing up? I think it's because we want to experience this ourselves... the animated world is much better, isn't it?


Song 156: Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough

This has to be one of the nicest songs the Black Eyed Peas ever made. I like that they sampled video game sounds and used mechanical elements; it suits them well.

Yeah, the verses don't quite match with the chorus, but it's nice to know that Taboo and Apl.de.ap get their own parts - they're better when they're involved C":

When you're in love, you simply want more.



Song 157: Madonna - Get Together

One of my favourite Madonna songs - I think it's because I was in love at that moment... or so I thought.

I don't know how to describe this song other than my eyes getting wider; it's an opener, and somehow entraps me. What I love to know is this secret she talks about, but I'm pretty sure it's not referring back to her - in fact, it's about you.

So many mysteries behind this song, and someday I'll understand why it has a significance to me.


Song 158: Agnes Carlsson - Release Me

First thing's first: she is not Leona Lewis! But it's not hard to see the resemblance: they both have powerhouse voices, their songs are hits, and there were introduced to the world from singing competitions.

The difference: Agnes focuses on dance tracks. We can see how well Leona would have done, and the results would have been astounding as well. She seems stuck in her relationship, and only her lover can end it. What a strange yet beautiful struggle.




Song 159: Rachel Stevens - Funky Dory

I think I also saw this on the Hit List, where they did a solo interview with Rachel Stevens (my favourite member of S Club 7!)  She had like a bunch of songs released when they televised the special (they need to release this stuff in North America!)

Though most of her songs were pretty fun, this one struck out: it was surprising and unexpected. It's not dirty, but almost sounds like it is, and her vocals don't match to her S Club days, which was strange. All grown up, I think I can get use to this Rachel.



Song 160: Neverest - Everything

Another example of the second single more successful than the first. I wasn't much a fan of "About Us," it sounded whiny. Then this song came along, and I fell in love with it.

I thought it was corny, but it's what you feel when you're in love. It has the mellow dramatic tune, yet doesn't really feel like a love song. You know what I'm saying? Plus, the video has a nice way introducing the members, I suppose? I guess it's the perfect way a man can express his love without going extreme.

No comments: